Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yellowstone County Information
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yellowstone County Mission: To create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth.
Benefits of our program: Littles in our program achieve educational success, avoidance of risky behaviors, higher aspirations, greater confidence, and better relationships.
Children Served: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yellowstone County serves youth ages 5-18 within Yellowstone County. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, and the match support specialists at Big Brothers Big Sisters match Bigs and Littles after in depth interviews and background checks, and after considering a variety of factors that determine a good match. The only eligibility requirements to be a Little within our program are falling within the designated age range, residing in Yellowstone County, and completing all intake paperwork and interviews. Many or our Littles come from low-income homes, single parent homes, the foster care system, etc.
School-Based: High school juniors and seniors are matched with elementary and middle school Littles, whom they meet with during school hours. Bigs receive class credit for enrolling in the program.
*All information submitted through this application will only be available to Big Brothers Big Sisters and will remain confidential.
Mailing Address (If different from physical)
Please select two people to serve as character references. One should be a parent, family member/relative, and the other should be a counselor, coach, teacher, or job supervisor. If no family member/relative reference is possible, please list someone who knows you well personally such as a roommate, mentor, or friend. You will need to send them the “reference form” to complete on your behalf. They should be able to speak to your character, and ability to commit to the Bigs program.
YOUTH SERVING ORGANIZATIONS
List all organizations either as a volunteer or a paid position in which you worked with children e.g. Boy/Girl Scouts, YWCA, YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, Trading Cards, other BBBS agencies, etc. Please attach additional sheet(s) if necessary.
Please review and sign the following forms:
I understand that:
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yellowstone County (BBBSYC) complies with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended. BBBSYC services are provided without regard to an individual’s race, religion, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or veteran status. If you believe discrimination is being practiced, you have the right to register a complaint with The Human Rights Bureau, Department of Labor and Industry, PO Box 1728, Helena, MT 59624-1728, 1-800-542-0807 and in Helena, 406-444-2884.
Exceptions to confidentiality:
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yellowstone County
Rules & Guidelines
(FOR REVIEW ONLY – WE WILL GO OVER AND SIGN DURING ORIENTATION AT THE START OF SCHOOL YEAR)
Acknowledgement of Obligation
I agree to take an active part in the High School Bigs Program, and visit my assigned Little(s) as scheduled. I understand that this will not obligate me financially or legally.
I further acknowledge and agree that Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yellowstone County may, without incurring liability of any nature whatsoever to the undersigned, refer to the proper authorities any deviant behaviors relating to illegal drugs or sexual or other misconduct on my part.
I understand it may be necessary for Big Brother Big Sisters of Yellowstone County to investigate my background regarding character references, employment records, and criminal history (upon turning 18 years of age.) I give my consent for any agency to release my records and to furnish it to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yellowstone County.
Agreement to Protect Confidentiality
I agree to keep information discussed with me regarding a potential Little confidential. I will not discuss this information with any person other than the assigned Big Brothers Big Sisters staff, or the assigned counselors at my school. I will further protect my Little's confidentiality by not sharing names and other specific details with anyone but Big Brothers Big Sisters staff.
Consent to Share Matching Information
I understand information about me will be prepared by the staff of Big Brothers Big Sisters and I consent to its disclosure to a potential Little. This may include personnel at the Little's school.
Cheating on tests, copying another student’s composition or homework, and plagiarizing the ideas, words, or writings of another is forbidden. Students who are determined to have cheated or plagiarized will be given a zero on the assignment or test and a Disciplinary Referral shall be submitted to my school’s Administration. (Parent notification/conference, 0 on assignment, substitute assignment, loss of credit and removal from class)
The Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring class will adhere to this policy for all students in all cases. I have read and understood the above and will follow its guidelines.
HIGH SCHOOL BIGS PROGRAM-Volunteer Ground Rules
(FOR REVIEW ONLY – WE WILL GO OVER AND SIGN DURING ORIENTATION AT THE START OF THE SCHOOL YEAR)
1. I understand that seeing my Little Brother/Sister consistently is one of the most important things I can do as a mentor; therefore I will see my Little twice weekly, or as arranged by the Big Brothers Big Sisters staff.
2. I understand that all contact with my Littles is restricted to school grounds. I will not exchange phone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information with my Littles. I will not “friend” my Little on Facebook or any other social networking site.
3. I understand that the relationship between my Little and me is primarily a one-to-one relationship. I am not there to help the entire class or run errands for the teacher.
4. I will not try to convert my Little to my religious or political views.
5. I will refrain from using offensive language and gestures.
6. I will adhere to school procedures for match visits, including verifying my attendance on match visit days by signing in at my Little’s school.
7. If I am unable to meet with my Little I will notify the Little’s school and Big Brothers Big Sisters.
8. I will follow all the rules and policies of the Littles’ schools while I am on their campus.
9. I will not use my cell phone at my Littles’ school.
10. I understand that I might learn personal information about my Little and his/her family members, and I will keep that information confidential.
**I also understand that if my Little shares that they plan to harm themselves, others, or they are being harmed, I am required to report that immediately to staff at the Little’s school and my Big Brothers Big Sisters Program Supervisor. Additionally, I understand that if I share with my supervisor that I plan to harm myself, others, or I am being harmed, my supervisor will report that information to my school counselor and/or other appropriate contacts (i.e. Child and Family Services).
11. I will maintain regular contact with the Big Brothers Big Sisters School Program Specialist by attending all classes and responding to calls, letters, emails, and Remind messages. If I fail to respond in a timely manner, my grade may suffer and ultimately, I may be dropped from the class with a “0”.
12. If a problem arises in my match relationship, if I have questions or concerns, or if my Little tells me something that makes me uncomfortable, I will notify BBBS immediately by calling 406-248-2229.
13. If my address, email address, or telephone number changes, I will notify BBBS right away.
14. I will complete all required paperwork and match support.
15. Gift giving is discouraged. If I want to bring my little something at school I will ask BBBS first.
16. I understand that failure to adhere to BBBS of Yellowstone County standards, requirements, and expectations may result in match closure and termination of my participation in this program.
Thanks for your willingness to make a difference in a child's life!